Monday, November 1, 2010

Long run and lots of rain

The weather always seems to be the worst on my long run day.
Not that the weather in washington is the best, ever, but it seems especially awful during my longs runs.
It poured today.
I mean POURED cats and dogs (and cows).
But it was fantastic.
I'm lucky to live right next to a paved urban trail the goes through the woods as well (the tenino chehalis western trail).
The rain drops were so loud on the forest.
The trail was littered in decomposing yellow and orange maple leaves.
I was soaked 30 minutes into my 2hr 16 miler, but I enjoyed the whole thing.
There's something liberating about running in a down pour to the sound of whats around you and your foot steps. Nothing else. No Ipod. Just you and your thoughts.
I felt like I was back in the woods where I grew up.
Anytime there are adverse weather conditions think of that BIll Bowerman quote:
"There is no such thing as bad weather, just soft people"
I am not a soft person.

1 comment: