Monday, March 26, 2012

Blackets Ridge and some thoughts

So, I don't think I'll be posting those monotonous training schedule posts. I'd imagine they're pretty boring to read. I'll do a few summaries here and there, but other than that I'll just post when I feel the need.
I ran blackets ridge today, it was really cool. The views were amazing, there's quite a bit of gain in the first 2-3 miles, so it was more like power hiking, but I still feel like I ran pretty strong.
I also explored sabino a little more and it is just great out there.
I think next time I'm going to go to the end of the trail and then make my way off the beaten path across the ridge and down to some other trail I can see from the ridge. It wasn't a very long run, but it was beautiful, technical, and challenging.




The other thing that I feel the need to mention is that I seem to be having some sort of tendonitis where my achilles connects to my heel bone. My best guess is that it's from jumping right back into running after only running 10-15 mile weeks for 6 months. But I want to say that it might have something to do with the minimal footwear I've been wearing. I love MT110's but there's nearly zero padding and there's only a 4mm heel to toe drop. I had a ton of calf strain issues when I switched to the NB minimus road, I even had to stop running in them ($80 well spent). I LOVE the MT's, so I hope that's not the case, but I ordered the montrail mountain masochists again to see if that's the issue. I'm wishing I hadn't tossed my old masochists when we moved to Tucson (they only had maybe 100 miles on them) but C'est le' vie, or however you say that, I don't know, I'm from America.
Anyways, I don't know about this whole minimalist movement anymore. I'm always on the line about it. On one hand I love to have great ground feel and a low heel to toe drop, it makes me feel more connected to the trail I'm running (not in a hippie-ish way either, hillbilly friends). I also like to imagine I have a graceful mid/forefoot strike when I'm running, but the truth is that I don't really know, I could be hammering my heels after and hour or two for all I know. But I feel like I have more running related injury issues the more minimal I go. Or maybe this hunting for the perfect shoe thing is just something runners do and the perfect shoe and zilch injury doesn't exist. As far as I've seen, there's always something missing in a shoe, and something is always sore.
I'll let you know when I find Jesus's shoe though (and it won't be a Huarache or any other kind of sandal).

No comments:

Post a Comment