Sunday, May 20, 2012

Catalina Peaks

So my goal this week was to "ease" back into things after those 2 weeks off, but that somehow isn't happening. Which is fine, because I feel great!
It was kind of hard getting back in the swing of things and my lungs didn't feel 100% at first, but by Saturday I was back at phoneline, blazing up it and doing speedwork on the tram road.
I've really been loving running without gps. It feels great.
I also love my Montrail Rogue Fly's. Best. Shoe. Ever. I really got to test them today.
I ran the Catalina Peaks with TTR.
I ran for 5hrs 57min and probably around 25-27 miles with 5,000ft EG.
TTR doesn't mess around, there were some serious climbs, and some really technical trail, but it was an AMAZING run. I really enjoyed it.
Mike, Guy, and I got lost on the first leg and ended up past barnum rock down at san pedro vista. Not sure how that happened, but hey! I'll take the extra miles :)
On the way back up I saw a HUGE black rattle snake coiled under a boulder. I told the guys who then scrambled around the rock in various directions to avoid him. I bent over to get a "closer" look (not very close), he was staring me straight in the eye! Those things aren't messin' around, they have a serious mad dog stare.
From there we went up Mt. Bigelow, bear wallow, through marshall gulch, up aspen to radio ridge, ending at Steward observatory on top of Mt. Lemmon (9,100ft).
Here's the map.
It was a great run, the views were amazing and as usual the runners I met were awesome.

I love meeting all these older runners and soaking up there vast  knowledge of ultra's like a sponge.
The stories I hear are one of my favorite parts of running with a group

It always amazes me how diverse trail runners are.
I'm a waiter. Today I ran with 3 or 4 Engineers, a Lawyer, and an IT Guy.
A bunch of guys who I would probably never hang out with if it weren't for the trails.
Initially, I feel pretty embarrassed when people ask me what I do for a living.
When someone tells me they're an engineer and then they proceed to ask me what I do, I'm always a little hesitant to respond with: "I'm a waiter. I dropped out of community college. Three times. And I dropped out of the arts institute."
Then I think about my upbringing and the things I did growing up.
I think about my beautiful wife and our little apartment. I think about our epileptic pug and our cheap couches.
I'm lucky to be where I am. I'm lucky to be somewhat sane and I'm lucky to be alive for that matter.
We're far from rich in the monetary sense, but quality of life shouldn't be measure by salaries and titles.
None of that will matter when it's all said and done and no one judges you on the trails.
I love my life here in Tucson!


Joe Plassmann was the RD for this one.
He hooked us up with brownies, cheeto's, cookies, watermelon and a plethora of cold beverages at the end.
So delicious after 6 hrs of running and eating GU and S-Caps!
Today couldn't have gone better.

Mike in a culvert


A somewhat smokey view due to recent wildfires




3 comments:

  1. hi korey, it's leah sauser! we don't really know each other--but i like your blog a lot and just wanted to say it's so fantastic how you've turned your life around by running. i also enjoy running, but i can't believe you run upwards of 20, 30 miles! good work man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks leah:)
    I'm glad you enjoy it, that's awesome to hear.
    And you'd be surprised what you can do, especially in such beautiful surroundings.
    Try trail running sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey thanks leah:)
    I'm glad you enjoy it, that's awesome to hear.
    And you'd be surprised what you can do, especially in such beautiful surroundings.
    Try trail running sometime!

    ReplyDelete