Friday, July 5, 2013

Bring your cell phone and a bandana


I avoid cement when I can, even a 1/2 mile approach.
It was beautiful: 80, sunny and a slight breeze.
I ascended  900ft up White Rabbit trail. I dropped down some single track, the sun slicing through the trees, the warm breeze against my chest. I played around on the Mike Uhtoff Trail, zipping up and down the undulating single track beneath the thick canopy of pine and madrona. The deer watched me closely. As if I were up to no good. I did a loop on queen of hearts. I admired the giant moss covered boulders. I smelled the summer air; the hot dead pine needles. I listened to the crunch of old leaves beneath my feet.
I started thinking about how great my life is here in Ashland.


PLAP!!!

I rolled my ankle so hard that my whole body dropped.
That can happen when you get lost in your head on a descent.
I didn't have my phone. I didn't have water. I didn't have gels.
I DID have a bandana, which I always wrap around my wrist for emergencies and to keep sweat out of my eyes. So I ripped it into 5 pieces, tied it together and made a wrap for my ankle. I picked up a stick and hobbled home laughing at my stupidity all the way.
Luckily I only had to hobble for an hour and half.

There are 3 morals to this story:

#1 Pay attention
#2 It's a good idea to carry your phone
#3 The bandana is the ultimate multi-tool

The bandana can be used for multiple applications including, but not limited to:
1. Splint/Brace 2. Sweat band 3. Cooling device 4. Bald spot protection 5. Butt wipe



1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete