Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Mt. Ashland Hill Climb Race Report


The Mt. Ashland Hillclimb was the best race I've had in a long time. It starts right outside of the plaza in downtown Ashland and travels 13.3 miles and 5,633 feet up to the top of Mt. Ashland. It wouldn't be much of a race report if I were to write one, so here is a good summary: Up.
I had a great day! I felt strong and the only time I stopped was to drink water at the aid stations. I held back in all the right places and never pushed so hard as to bonk. I had written the splits on my arm to hit the 2 hour mark and followed them very well, but the last climb was so much steeper than I expected; I was literally on all fours at some points and I lost a good 10 minutes there. 
All in all I was happy with my performance. I finished in 02:09 in 9th place and then ran down the back side of the peak to meet my mom and my wife at the ski lodge. It was a great race with great volunteers. I'm always thankful to be part of such a tight knit running community. It was another great day here in Southern Oregon!

At the Summit/finish. Photo: Andy Atkins.


No comments:

Post a Comment