Sunday, December 1, 2013

taper time thoughts


McDowell Mountain Frenzy 50 Mile is only 6 days away now. Oh, how time flies! I feel like it wasn't that long ago that I crossed that finish line in Fountain Hills. But the closer I get to race day the more my mind races: Did I run enough? Did I do enough speedwork? Will my poor diet negatively effect me? Can I perform better than 2012-Korey? Why didn't I do more crunches? Why didn't I eat more kale? Do these jeans make me look fat? (just kidding about the jeans).
Even though these thoughts are running through my mind and even though I couldn't manage to sustain high mileage, I feel more fit than I ever have been. Living in Ashland I get between 10,000 and 12,000 feet of elevation gain in a 70 mile week, which is my average training week barring injury. It's not a lot, but it's enough to make me feel confident in my abilities come race day.
I would give anything to be able to consistently run 80 to 100 mile weeks. It seems that every time I get around the 75 - 80 miles for a few weeks I get hurt and have to take time off. But in January of 2014 I will have been running for 4 years, so maybe next year is going to be the year where my body finally adapts to the stress.
Even though I love to race and would prefer to win, those are probably the least important aspects of trail and ultra running. More importantly I love the community and the people I meet. I love running with friends and exploring new places. But I also love being alone in the woods away from everything and everyone. I love feeling insignificant in the grand scheme of things. I love sunrises, sunsets, starlight, crickets, rivers... I could go on, but I won't. I just love what nature has to offer if you open your eyes.
I am beyond excited to head down to Arizona. I'm excited to see my family. I'm excited to see my friends. I'm excited to run another Aravaipa Running event. I just can't wait! I already wish I would have booked more days down there. Once you've lived in the desert, it always wants you back.

Folllow the race on Saturday 12/07 starting at 7a.m. MST (6a.m. PST) with live results and leader board via: http://www.aravaiparunning.com/ultracast-results/  or follow Aravaipa Running on Twitter @AravaipaRunning

I'll leave you with a few photo's from last years MMF50 by Aravaipa Running

sunrise

at the start last year

the descent about 25 miles in

No comments:

Post a Comment