Thursday, January 2, 2014

Mike's stADISTIC New Years Day Run

When I got the e-mail from my friend Joe about Mike and Heather Stadnisky's new years day run, I was stoked! Being in the hospitality industry it's often hard to get the same days and times off as everyone else, but this time I got some lovely co workers to cover both of my shifts and I was set!
Two days prior, according to Murphy's Law, I came down with a sore throat, a cough and chills. The morning of the run I started writing a text out to Joe about how I wasn't going to make it because I was too sick, but then I deleted it. I talked myself into feeling better, held my cough, and headed out the front door. In the future if I have a chest cold or a fever I will save myself the trouble and stay home.  I had a blast, but I'm paying the price now.
Mike described this course as "around 26 miles with about a million feet of elevation gain."  I'm not going to go over the specific route we took, but we did take some of the steepest climbs in Ashland including White Rabbit, Rob's and Pete's Punisher. It ended up being around 23 miles with just over 6,000ft of vertical.
The aid station (a car) was awesome. Mike, Heather and Joe had everything under the sun in there. All sorts of gels and fuels, chips, 21 gallons of water. You get the picture.
I had a really amazing time despite being sick. I got to see some new trails I hadn't been on and I got to spend some quality miles with lots of friends, new and old,  including my new Pearl Izumi Ultra teammate Becka Kem. Thanks for an awesome new years day everyone!




Becka and Justin climbing Rob's

Top of Rob's

Top of Rob's

Joe stoked about the climb

Joe on a connector 

N2's everywhere!
Mike cresting the Pete's
Becka and Justin at the top of Pete's


5 comments:

  1. Korey, nice run write up and pics. Good to meet you in person and nice to join you all for a few sunny miles, and get introduced to Rob's Trail Climb. Knocked time off Pete's Punisher segment today, http://www.strava.com/segments/2776053?filter=overall, 5 seconds to go...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang! 17:04!!! I'm telling you man. You should go down and do the Vertical Km in Flagstaff this year http://runsteep.com/flagstaff/
      It was nice to meet you as well. I'll see ya out there!

      Delete
  2. Pete's must have really been a stinger at the end of your New Year's Day run, nice work on that! Just imagine how much easier it will feel the next time you run it at the beginning of a run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice to have you Korey! Really love your blog:) way to push through that cold, running in the winter woods is a cure-all for all that ails ya;) happy trails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for putting it on, Heather. Had a real good time. It was the perfect long run in prep for Orcas Island!

      Delete