Friday, December 19, 2014

I am not just a runner

If you're reading this then you know that I am a runner. I focus a ton of time, energy and effort into training to compete. But we all know that competing isn't important at all. Trail running is more about the peace and strength we find in the wilderness and the connections we make on the trails. I have such a huge "family" in the trail running community that I am so thankful for. A lot of people aren't that lucky and I really do feel fortunate.
If you know me, even as an acquaintance, then you probably know some of the things I struggle with. If you know me personally then you might even know my demons and you probably know that running saved my life. It changed me. It picked me up from rock bottom and continues to keep me balanced. I am so grateful for that. I am grateful for my legs. I am grateful for the mountains and the forest. I'm grateful for the dark places we sometimes have to push through in order to see the beauty in the world, because without the darkness the sunrise would not be breathtaking. That's why I run.
But it seems like runners self identify with uncomparable passion. I completely understand that, because after all, I am runner. But over the last year I started to realize that running isn't all encompassing. I used to introduce myself as if it were: when people would ask what I do or who I am,  I would say "I'm a runner."  Like "Duh! That's it! That's all that matters!" But I don't feel that way anymore. Not because I don't love running, but because life is full of so many brilliant and beautiful moments. So many little things mean so much to me now.
I love music. All kinds. I love to play guitar. I love to write songs. I love bad poems. I love cookies and the way they smell when they come out of the oven. I love coffee and tea. I love movies. I love pizza! I love to cook. I love to drive with nowhere to go. I love to watch the sunset. I love the way my woman's lips feel against mine and the way she looks at me. I love love and love that my old friends hate that I'm that way.
This list could go on for days. Pages and pages of things you might not care about. And as I get older it just gets bigger. I'm not writing this to down play the importance of anyone's identity, I know how important it is to have an identity that you're proud of, but lets not forget what the world is made of and how beautiful it can be with or without your running shoes.




No comments:

Post a Comment