Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Orcas Island 50K Race Report - 2015

This year I figured I'd spare you the "blah blah blah" of the usual race reports I write that almost no one reads and instead make a short seven question Q & A with some of the Team 7 Hills members who ran the Orcas Island 50K.  Enjoy!




1. Name, where you live, when you joined Team 7 Hills.

Phil Kochik, Seattle, day 1 (founder).

2. Have you ran Orcas Island 50K before? How many times?

Once before in 2013.

3. What was the hardest part about the race?

The few miles leading up to power line climb---dreading it.

4. What shoes did you wear and how did they work out?

Merrell All-Out Peak...soon to be released. awesome grip on the mud, wooden bridges, wet rocks, roots, logs. feels great on pavement too.

5. What did you do for nutrition?

Cafe mocha Huma gel, caramel macchiato gu.  Before the race, Pocket Fuel Vanilla Cold Brew Coffee shot and Trail Butter Expedition Espresso.  Yeah, I over did the coffee themed sports nutrition a bit this time...

6.  If you could hot tub time machine back to Saturday morning, would you change your race strategy in anyway? (Gear, pace, nutrition?)

I would have just ran with Adam Hewey the whole time.

7. Will you run Orcas Island 50K next year?

I hope so!



1. Name, where you live, when you joined Team 7 Hills.

Masazumi Fujioka, living in Kirkland WA. I joined the team in 2015.

2. Have you ran Orcas Island 50K before? How many times?

This was my first Orcas.

3. What was the hardest part about the race?

Technical say, Powerline Trail was definitely the hardest part. I was simply slow there, got passed by Nate, but I could do nothing there even though I wanted to follow him. I have learned from my past experience that, at that sort of real steep uphill, a long-leg guy who is just walking is faster than I who is running hard with short legs.
Apart from that, I was having some difficulty in finding my rhythm at the beginning of the race. Virtually I hadn't done any speed training since the last race in December, so it took a while to pick up my pace.

4. What shoes did you wear and how did they work out?

Scott Kinabalu. The first time I used them are at muddy Bellingham Trail Marathon in November 2014, and eventually I won that race. I really like their responsiveness. They work great up to 50k in any trail condition, and I believe they should do the job up to 50 miles.

5. What did you do for nutrition?

My general rule is to take first gel 1h30 after start, then eat a gel each 45min, and there wasn't any big difference this time.
I had two 12 ounces bottles, one was water and another was electrolyte. But consumed less than usual, as I was soaked by rain.
I stopped only once at North Arch aid station (Mile 20.6), there I took some banana and refilled one bottle.

6. If you could hot tub time machine back to Saturday morning, would you change your race strategy in anyway? (Gear, pace, nutrition?)

Actually I needed hot tub! I mean, I was wearing tanktop and arm warmers during the race, but it wasn't enough for me to keep me warm while descending from Mt Constitution, and I had less mobility in my legs for a while. So if hot tub is too big to bring, I would bring light jacket with me.

7. Will you run Orcas Island 50K next year?

Definitely! The mossy trails are really beautiful, and running there is real fun. Above all, I'm able to see a lot of faces there again!
Follow Masazumi on Twitter and Instagram!

Twitter: @masaz71
Instagram: @marseille



 1. Name, where you live, when you joined Team 7 Hills.

Jon Robinson, Seattle, WA. I Joined Team 7 Hills in 2013

 2. Have you ran Orcas Island 50K before? How many times?

This was my 7th consecutive finish.

 3. What was the hardest part about the race?

Waking up at 2:30am to catch the morning ferry.

 4. What shoes did you wear and how did they work out?

La Sportive Wildcat. Did they work out?  I have been running in the Wildcats on and off for about 8 years now and for the first time ever they did not work too well.  It was too muddy/wet.  Once they become submerged in water, pretty much at the start of the race, they became waterlogged and stayed that way for the duration of the race. I felt like I was running with bricks on my feet! I am sure all the mud caked on the shoes made a substantial contribution to that feeling as well.  Though I was likely one of the only folks out there running in the Wildcats, I suspect I was not the only one with this problem.  Perhaps I should consult Phil more often on appropriate shoe attire to match race conditions.

 5. What did you do for nutrition?

Gels.

 6. If you could hot tub time machine back to Saturday morning, would you change your race strategy in anyway? (Gear, pace, nutrition?)

Other than shoe choice?  Show up to the start line fully rested.

 7. Will you run Orcas Island 50K next year?

Yup.



1. Name, where you live, when you joined Team 7 Hills.

Kevin Douglas, Alger, WA. Joined Team 7 Hills in January 2015.

2. Have you ran Orcas Island 50K before? How many times?

Yes, ran it in 2011 and swept the course in 2012. Ran the 25k this year, 2015.

3. What was the hardest part about the race?

Wearing too many clothes at the start.

4. What shoes did you wear and how did they work out for you?

I wore the Pearl Izumi N2. I pulled them brand new right out of the box morning of the race. They worked really well on the dry trail conditions.

5. What did you do for nutrition?

I carried one hand held with 3 gu's. I believe I had 2 gu's and half a bottle of water. At the top of Constitution I had a small cup of coke.

6.  If you could hot tub time machine back to Saturday morning, would you change your race strategy in anyway? (Gear, pace, nutrition?)

The only thing I think I would have changed would be to have worn less clothes at the start. A jacket and gloves were too much.

7. Will you run Orcas Island 50K next year?

I am not sure if I will run the 25k or 50k next year. Have not planned that far in advance yet. You never know.



1. Name, where you live, when you joined Team 7 Hills.

Seth Wolpin, Seattle, WA. I joined TEam 7 Hills in 2015

2. Have you ran Orcas Island 50K before? How many times?

This was my 6th.

3. What was the hardest part about the race?

The large amount of elevation gain and potential for wipe-outs on the muddy downhills

4. What shoes did you wear and how did they work out?

I wore Cascadias. They worked pretty well, but I have never really run trails in anything else (except road shoes sometimes). I need to change that and am looking forward to learning about new shoes from Seven Hills Running Shop.

5. What did you do for nutrition?

I ate some oreos at the aid stations and M&M's.

6. If you could hot tub time machine back to Saturday morning, would you change your race strategy in anyway? (Gear, pace, nutrition?)

I would have stashed that hot tub somewhere along the circuit for a quick refresher. (Or course I would have destroyed it with all of the mud on me). Seriously, I would have hydrated and fueled better. My music was stuck on the setting where it plays the same song over and over and that got pretty annoying fast. And I think I would have carried my trekking poles for the really steep slippery sections. Last, I would have taken more pictures!

7. Will you run Orcas Island 50K next year?

Hopefully. Lucky 7!



1. Name, where you live, when you joined Team 7 Hills.

John Wros, Seattle, WA, new to the team as of the 2014/15 season. 

2. Have you ran Orcas Island 50K before? How many times?

Nope, first time. Would gladly run again.

3. What was the hardest part about the race?

Ha, Adam Hewey appearing out of the woods with 1.5 k to go, so much for an easy finish.

4. What shoes did you wear and how did they work out?

Pearl Izumi Trail M2, has been my go to shoe for 50 k - 100 miles. In this deep mud I could have used a Trail M2 Soft Ground, very slippery.

5. What did you do for nutrition?

Gel every 20 minutes and plain water.

6. If you could hot tub time machine back to Saturday morning, would you change your race strategy in anyway? (Gear, pace, nutrition?)

I would have slept in the bunkhouse the night before, woke up in the back of my car feeling pretty stiff and tired. Next year.

7. Will you run Orcas Island 50K next year?

Would love to.



1. Name, where you live, when you joined Team 7 Hills.

 Adam Hewey, from Seattle, first member of Team 7 Hills (besides Phil).

2. Have you ran Orcas Island 50K before? How many times?

My 7th running of Orcas and as always...

3. What was the hardest part about the race?

...the hardest part is getting out of my sleeping bag and getting to the start line.

4. What shoes did you wear and how did they work out?

I chose Scott Kinabalus as they are a great 50k shoe. Light, grippy and they have lace locks. Nothing was grippy in the mud we saw on Saturday. Paired with Drymax socks, my feet were happy all day.

5. What did you do for nutrition?

My nutrition was exactly thus: two squares of PBJ at first aid station and water, exactly same thing at aid 2, One PBJ square and water at aid 3 only I also added a dixie cup of Coke to my water. Final aid station was...PBJ! With water and two cups of Coke thrown in. I also had 4 GU Electrolyte Replacement caps spread throughout the day. No bonks, no cramps, no blisters.

 6. If you could hot tub time machine back to Saturday morning, would you change your race strategy in anyway? (Gear, pace, nutrition?)

I came in 45 seconds over my goal of 5 hours, if I had it all to do over again I'd not change a thing. Happy with my race.

7. Will you run Orcas Island 50K next year?

(Adam didn't say, but I'm guessing, DUH)


Adam post race



1.Name, where you live, when you joined team 7 hills.

Korey Konga, Lacey, Washington. I've been a member of Team 7 HIlls since 2014, but became one of their sponsored runners in 2015.

2. Have you ran Orcas Island 50K before? How many times?

I ran it in 2011 and 2014.

3. What was the hardest part about the race?

For me the hardest part is the final climb up Mt. Consitution after Power line climb. It's a long sustained climb that should be runnable, but my legs are usually shelled and my hamstrings start cramping without fail.

4. What shoes did you wear and how did they work out?

I wore the New Balance MT101 with my Feetures! Compression socks! I loved that combo! I wore the MT101's in 2011 when I first ran this race. I had a few problems slipping in the thick mud this year, especially up powerline climb, but all in all I was happy with my choice.

5. What did you do for nutrition?

Nine Clifshots, a few swigs of coke and water.

6. If you could hot tub time machine back to Saturday morning, would you change your race strategy in anyway? (Gear, pace, nutrition?)

I might dial the pace back a bit in the beginning to save some energy for that last climb, but overall I was happy with my gear, nutrition and pacing.

7. Will you run Orcas Island 50K next year?

As long as I'm healthy and running I will run this race!





Thanks for reading!
Follow me on Twitter & Instagram @koreykonga


No comments:

Post a Comment