Friday, May 22, 2015

Capital City Marathon Race Report

The Capital City Half Marathon was my first official race back in 2010 and at the time it was the longest distance I had ever run:13.1 miles. And it was painful. In fact that was the most painful race of my life as I had a horrible case of ITB syndrome and I was terribly under trained.

There I am. Looking wobbly. Ready to cry. Running a 7:31 pace for 13.1 miles.
Anyways, I've been racing trail and ultra races for the last 4 years and started to feel slow and stale, so I decided to try my hand at the marathon. Since I recently moved back home to Yelm, where there are no trails or hills, I thought "Why not hit the roads and go back to Cap City?" So I put in the work: Long runs. Tempo runs. Track work. Intervals. All of it. And I felt ready. I thought "I can run 02:35. I know it."

Fast forward to race morning. 5...4...3...2...1 Boom! Jesse Stevick (8, now 9, time winner) took off out of the gate and a guy I didn't know at the time (Corey Nunlist) stuck by his side. I thought "You've gotta try to hang with them." We ran the first 5K in 17:49.

The start. Photo by South Sound Running

I have since met Corey Nunlist and I like the guy a lot, but when he stopped running and started walking around mile five I was thinking "WHAT!? What were you doing pushing it with Jesse? And why was I trying to keep up with you guys!?" He had no business running up there and I had no business getting caught up in that. I realized then and there that I had made a big mistake going out too fast. I was a little irritated, but just kept telling myself to relax. 
I saw Phil Jasperson (5 time Capital City Marathon winner) out on the course around mile 7 and he said to me "You look good, but be patient. This course loves patience." He was right, but that wasn't something I had thought about from the start. I tell you what! It's amazing how much time you can lose at the end of a marathon by going 10-15 seconds per mile over your goal pace in the beginning.

Realizing I was running a minute slower than my GP. Photo by South Sound Running.

By mile 20 I knew I had blown it. Every water station I came to I would stop and drink water and walk. I saw my fiance' around mile 22 and gave her a kiss and said "I blew it! I'm going to finish, but I messed up!" It was a mental boost to see her. She said "It's ok! I think you're doing great." and I kept going.


Mile 26. Photo by South Sound Running

I finished 6 minutes slower than my goal time and over 7 minutes behind Jesse in second place in 02:41


The finish. Photo by South Sound Running

A big thank you to my sponsors and teams: Seven Hills Running Shop. Clifbar. Feetures! & Guerilla Running


Gear used:

3 Clifbar Clifshots
Team Clifbar Cap
Feetures! Compression Socks
New Balance Fresh Foam Zante
Garmin FR 220
Pearl Izumi Team 7 Hills Singlet
Pearl Izumi Ultra Split Shorts

Strava:

No comments:

Post a Comment