Monday, January 9, 2017

50 Miles To Help Britt Heal

So maybe you've heard and maybe you haven't, but my friend Britt was struck by a car when she was crossing the street in West Seattle. Her pelvis was shattered and had to be rebuilt, her legs were broken, she fractured her neck and skull and had serious brain trauma. I'm probably missing something in this list of injuries, but that's not the point of this.
In the 27 years I've know this beautiful human being, she's never once asked me for anything besides a hug, yet she would be there if I called no matter what time it was or what I needed or what she was doing. She's seen me through most of my darkest days and picked up the phone anytime I called with a broken heart. She's a light to everyone she touches. She loves adventure and change and animals.  She's selfless and humble. She cares for all living things and as far as I'm concerned doesn't have a bad bone in her body. She's one of my best friends and one of the best humans I've ever met.

I visited Britt today.

Speaking quietly under the screams of the patient on the other side of the thin cloth that separated us.

"I've been here for a month. Look at my hair. It was long, and curly, and pretty. And no one brushed it. Now I'm going to have to shave it."

"You're beautiful Britt. You'll get one of those hip haircuts and you'll be stylish and cool. You know? Short in the back with long bangs? It will be real pretty. Don't worry."

"I just can't make sense of any of it. You know that I slept through Christmas? I woke up and didn't know it had past. That's one of my favorite days of the year."

"I know. It's just another day. You'll have 65 more Christmas'. At least. What will you do after this?"

"I'm not sure. Life is fragile. It doesn't make sense not to do what you want. Not to adventure? To live in a bubble? That doesn't make sense."

When I left I told her how beautiful she was.
I got in my car and I cried.
I am so thankful she's alive.

I regret making excuses not to come up when she asked if I could visit.

She will recover, but the road is long. Very long. And expensive. So on 02/19/2017 at 9:00 AM I will be running 50 Miles around the Yelm High School track to raise money for her Go Fund Me account. If you have an hour or 10 minutes, come out to the YHS track. Run a lap or a mile or 5 miles or even walk for 15 minutes. Post on Instagram and Twitter and Facebook about why you're here and share this link:

https://www.gofundme.com/help-for-britt

Britt would never ask for help. Ever. But I will.

Share this.

We are only $15,000 away from the $50,000 goal, but if you've ever known anyone who spent anytime in the hospital, you know how fast that will go.

If you can't come out to the track PLEASE share her Go Fund Me link.

Do a run for her wherever you are. Wherever you live. Run a mile for Britt and post about it.

Help us spread the word and HELP BRITT HEAL.

She deserves every penny.








2 comments:

  1. Omg I love. I'll try my hardest to be there. You are awesome. She is so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blogs because they are so authentic. Happy you got to visit. And run :)
    Lots of love and support.....

    ReplyDelete