Monday, February 20, 2017

50 Miles For A Friend: A Recap

How many of you have lost a loved one? How many of you have felt the world go black?

Well, we dodged a bullet when Britt opened her eyes after this accident and the world is a brighter place because of it. I decided to do this fundraiser not just because Britt is a very good friend of mine, one of my best friends, but because she is an amazing human being. She's always been positive and adventurous and when I saw her in the hospital after she had just had her feeding tube removed, her mindset was no different than it's always been. Even so, it changed something inside of me. Every time I think about her I feel something well up. While I knew that running 50 miles around a track wasn't going to make a big difference in her recovery, it's the only thing I could think to do. And as my friend Andrew put it: if you're good at something, use it to help others.

So at 9:01AM  on Sunday 02/19 I started running. I ran 201 laps around the Yelm High School track over 7 hours and 11 minutes. It rained. The wind blew. The sun broke. And the clouds came back. I kept running. People came and went, but you know what was amazing? People who didn't even know her came and shared laps with me. People who I haven't seen in years pledged $1 a lap to her GoFundMe account. My mother in law set up an entire aid station like I had never seen before and my wife, Keith and Andrew stayed ALL DAY long to support me.

During a lap with Alicia I turned to her and said "Can you believe all of the people that came out? Or some of the people that are donating? People that don't even know her!"

"Genuine people, Korey. That's what it is. You have genuine friends that care about you, and if you care this much about something, they know it's important."

She's right.

Thank you all. To all of you who took time out of your day to come and support Britt at the track. To all of you who donated to help her recovery when I know you don't have a ton of extra cash: thank you. It's the most touching thing I've witnessed and I certainly have a different outlook on humanity after this experience.

But one thing that Britt said at the hospital about settling still sticks in my head:

"Not to travel? Not to do what you want? To live in a bubble? That doesn't make any sense."

And she's fucking right. It doesn't make any sense not to live the life you want to live.

You could get hit by a car and die tomorrow.

What would you say to the people you love if this was the last day you were going see them? Where would you go if you only had a week left? Where would you want live and what view would you want to wake up to if you only had a year left here? Don't wait until it's too late. Do not waste what you have. Show the people you love that you love them and live the life you want to live.







Photo by David Detrick




photo by David Detrick




No comments:

Post a Comment